Seek My Face
In Solomon’s prayer he asked God in verses 34 and 35, “When Your people go out to battle against their enemies, by whatever way You shall send them, and they pray to You toward this city which You have chosen and the house which I have built for Your name, then hear from heaven their prayer and their supplication, and maintain their cause.” Solomon was asking God to answer their prayers when they look towards His city and His house seeking Him. The Bible tells us in Daniel 6:10 that when Daniel prayed, he faced Jerusalem. The Psalmist also wrote in Psalms 5:7, “but as for me, by Your abundant loving-kindness I will enter Your house,
at (toward) Your holy temple I will bow in reverence for You.” The significance of facing the temple was to face the very presence of God. Today, we no longer worship God in the temple, we worship God in Spirit; therefore, we seek His presence in Spirit.
Words of wisdom were spoken to Solomon many years prior to this great day by Solomon’s father, King David. He said to Solomon in I Chronicles 28:9, “If you seek Him, He will let you find Him.” David, the man after God’s own heart, was speaking to his son about God. God said that He wants us to seek His face. To seek one’s face is to know the person. God created us for the purpose of having a relationship with Him. He loves us and wants us to love Him back. He has not hidden His face from us. He has made Himself available. James 4:8 says, “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.”
The greatest act of love ever committed was God sending His Son Jesus to the cross. The purpose in this is that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23). Sin cannot come into the presence of God because He is perfectly righteous and holy. However, God desires a relationship with us so much that He was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. The Bible says in John 14:13, “This is love, that one would lay down his life for another.” Through the cross God has done everything necessary for us to have a relationship with Him. The Bible tells us in Romans 6:23, “for the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” For this reason alone we should be willing to respond to the Gospel laying down our lives in full pursuit of the fullness of God.
Growing up I was taught that when you speak to a person or they are speaking to you, you look the individual in the eye. If they are unwilling to look you in the eye, then they must be hiding something from you. Now that simply is the culture in which I was raised, and other cultures may think differently. However, God wants us to look Him in the eye. He wants us to seek His face because He has nothing to hide from us. He wants us to know Him. Psalm 31:16 says, “Make Your face to shine upon Your servant; Save me in Your loving-kindness.” I am thoroughly convinced that to know God is to love Him. Paul said in Ephesians 3:14-19, “For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.”
Day 5 Prayer Guide
- Ask God to reveal any sin or mindset that would prevent Him from hearing your prayers.
- Repent of any such hindrance and ask for God’s forgiveness.
- Ask God to remove any doubts and keep you focused on Him.
- Seek the Holy Spirit to consume you during this time to lead you. Be obedient to Him.
- Spend some time praising God for the fact that He is able. Quote some scriptures or some of His characteristics to Him in praise.
- Pray that the people of God will repent of sins and mindsets that dishonor and hinder Him.
- Pray for the people of God that they would see the need for revival and begin to seek God for it.
- Pray that the people of God would have a desire and stand in anticipation for God to pour out the fires of revival upon churches and a great awakening in our land.
- Pray that God’s people will seek the heart of God and desire His will and not their own.
- Pray that the people of God will seek the presence of God in their lives and their churches life.
- Ask God to align His people and prepare them for a mighty revival and a great awakening.
- Pray that the people of God would hunger and thirst for Him and therefore, seek His face.
- Ask God to raise up a mighty army of prayer warriors.
- Pray that the people of God will stand in faith knowing God can reclaim this land.
- Pray that our churches will be a house of prayer.
- Pray that the people of God will be living representations of Jesus.
- Pray specifically for revival in your church. Pray for your pastor and church leaders.
- Pray for a great awakening in your community. Name off streets and neighborhoods.
- Do not be judgmental in this, but pray that if there is any within the church who do not have a genuine relationship with Jesus that God would convict their heart and save them.
- Make a list of individuals who are not saved and begin petitioning God for their salvation.
- Pray for repentance of sin and a great awakening in our nation.