We Can Know God Through the Holy Spirit
The depths of God are so far beyond the wisdom of man’s rationale. We try to comprehend the wonders of who God is with the mind of man and leave greatly disappointed. To truly understand who God is, we need a master teacher-a teacher who perfectly understands the character of God and is able to skillfully teach even the most unteachable the wonderful riches of God’s glory and splendor.
God has indeed given us a master teacher. Our master teacher is none other than the Holy Spirit Himself. Paul explained in I Corinthians 2:9 what our master teacher, the Holy Spirit, is capable of revealing to us. “THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD, AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN, ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM.” We often make the mistake of putting a future tense on this scripture. However, Paul was not speaking of revelations of God to come. As you look at the entirety of I Corinthians 2, you see that Paul was telling us the master teacher, the Holy Spirit, opens our eyes to those truths today.
I Corinthians 2:10 says, “for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God.” Who better to teach us than the Holy Spirit, the one who searches even the deep things of God? Paul also said in the next verse, “For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.” Again, who better to teach us the thoughts and mind of God other than His very own Spirit?
Paul continues in verse fourteen of the same chapter by saying, “But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.” The natural man is the unsaved man who does not have the Holy Spirit within him. Therefore, he cannot understand nor comprehend the things of God. He has no teacher. However, of the Christian Paul says in verse twelve of the same chapter, “we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God.” God has given us His Spirit so we may know Him, and the Holy Spirit will reveal all the truths of God, even the “depths of God.”
Again, God wants us to know Him. He has given us everything we need to know Him. Jesus died on the cross to remove the obstacle of sin; He lived before us to demonstrate His character; He has given us His Holy Word; and He has given us His Spirit to bring us the revelation of it all. What an awesome God we truly serve. We are truly lacking in nothing. The conclusion then is this: If we do not know God, it is not because God has not given us the opportunity to know Him. It is because we have chosen not to know Him.
Romans 8:14 says, “for all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.” When we set in our hearts and minds to truly seek God, we must totally submit ourselves to the Spirit of God. Ephesians 5:18 says, “And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit.” So often we put full attention on not being drunk with wine with no attention on being filled with the Spirit. If we are filled with God’s Spirit, we don’t have to worry about the “drunk on wine” part. Why? If we are full of the Spirit, we are full; and there is no room for anything else. If we are full of the Spirit, we are full of God; and God will then draw us into His glory.
Day 31 Prayer Guide
- Ask God to reveal any sin or mindset that would prevent Him from hearing your prayers.
- Repent of any such hindrance and ask for God’s forgiveness.
- Ask God to remove any doubts and keep you focused on Him.
- Seek the Holy Spirit to consume you during this time to lead you. Be obedient to Him.
- Spend some time praising God for the fact that He is able. Quote some scriptures or some of His characteristics to Him in praise.
- Pray that the people of God will repent of sins and mindsets that dishonor and hinder Him.
- Pray that God would reveal prideful attitudes of self-sufficiency and bring about repentance.
- Pray that our foremost desire would be to know God more.
- Pray that all Christians would hunger and thirst for God.
- Pray that the world will see the churches utmost desire for God and be drawn to Him.
- Pray that the people of God will stand in faith knowing God can reclaim this land.
- Pray that our churches would be devoted to, and peruse the things that honor God.
- Pray that the people of God would see the need for revival and begin to seek God for it.
- Pray specifically for revival in your church. Pray for your pastor and church leaders.
- Pray that the people of God will be broken hearted over the lost.
- Pray that the church will be a gospel centered church with a heart to evangelize the world while starting in their own back yard.
- Pray that the power of God would fall on the church moving them to prayer and sowing the gospel seed.
- Pray for a great awakening in your community. Name off streets and neighborhoods.
- Do not be judgmental in this, but pray that if there is any within the church who do not have a genuine relationship with Jesus that God would convict their heart and save them.
- Make a list of individuals who are not saved and begin petitioning God for their salvation.
- Pray for repentance of sin and a great awakening in our nation.